This is a heartfelt article about..... matters of the heart!
Read More...
"It's difficult to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why every once in a while we need a really good pair to make the walk more fun!"- Sex and the City
Read More...


Being an Italian at Christmas time means that the incredible amount of baking that happens in my house is through the roof; I'm talking insanity. We do everything from sugar cookies, to chocolate chips, and everything you can imagine.
Read More...


You all know my addiction to truffles is a serious thing, and I try not to limit myself to what kinds of chocolate goodies I bake, so I figured...
Read More...
I really couldn't resist making this my post for the week, because when I read it, I knew it was true in all aspects of it's title.
Read More...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Girl's Best Friends: Her Girls and Her Shoes

"It's difficult to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why every once in a while we need a really good pair to make the walk more fun!" - Sex and the City

As I get older I find that I value things differently than I did when I was younger. When you're a kid every person you met could had the potential to be your best friend; you bonded of a 96 count box of Crayola crayons on your first day of school and the rest was history. In high school, you bond over the stereotypical teenage things; clothes, shoes, music, boys. There's always the cliques; the jocks, the popular kids, the metal heads/punk/emo kids, the nerds, and the geeks. Everyone is separated by what you think you are and who you think they are. You never really get to know anyone the way you should. I found that all of that changed when I got to college. I was able to make a fresh start for myself, be whoever I wanted to be, yet be the person I knew deep down that I was all along. 


College was where I met my best friends (and reconnected with an old friend). My best friend Jenna and I met in our senior year of high school working at a craft store. We didn't go to the same high school, but met on Halloween 2006...she was dressed like a dalmatian and I was wearing a princess crown...my first day of work and we bonded instantly. To this day we say that Halloween is our anniversary. I met Melissa our sophomore year of college at the first day of dance practice. Our captains had this idea that we'd all get to be great friends if we did these community questionnaires before each practice so we could get to know each other. I remember that the question was "what's your favorite movie" and I wrote down Harry Potter. Not five minutes later did I hear this high pitched little voice scream "who wrote Harry Potter?!" and that was that. Best friends.

 In light of my friends and I, I like to think we're much like the girls from Sex and the City...even if there are only three of us. We're inseparable, each with our own personalities and ways of doing things, yet at the end of the day if we called each other and said "I need you" we'd be in the car making the trip to be with the other. That's just the way it works with us. I find that my best friends are, in a sense, like the shoes in my closet; bear with me on this one, I promise it will make sense. 


Each shoe serves a purpose, each one looks different, fits different; a different color, shape, heel, you name it and the variety of shoes in my closet is incredible. I find that the diversity of my shoes reminds me so much of the diversity of my friends. Each one of us serves a different purpose and has a different way of viewing things. My friend's are like my shoes; I can't leave the house without the right pair of shoes or I feel completely off balance. It's the same perspective with the girls, I feel off balance if I don't talk to them for a few days, if we don't see each other because of work or school; it just doesn't feel right. 


The same way a girl needs the right shoes is the same way that a girl doesn't feel complete if she doesn't have good friends to walk through life with. Right shoes can make all the difference, and I know that by having the right friends in my life, it's made all the difference. My girls are like my sisters, and the next closest thing would be for the three of us to truly be blood related. 


I'm dedicating this post to my best friends, Jenna and Melissa; and to all the girls who have the right pairs of shoes in their life. <3



post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment